15 January 2013

Marraige: Approved!

The process for us to be able to get married has been time consuming and full of obstacles.  I had to get all of my paperwork sent to Lars. Then I didn't have the right type of divorce documents so I had to get a statement of single status with Apostille...then that wasn't enough.  I needed a special document from the State of Missouri about the divorce and it had to have an Apostille also...and Lars and I weren't sure it would be enough either.  It almost wasn't.

On the 7th of January Lars and I had a meeting here in Rotterdam to give them the final paperwork in order for us to get our marriage license.  The Dutch government had already given their approval so I really couldn't understand why the city was being such a turd.
The appointment was at 1:15 pm so the morning was spent wandering around, both of us anxious to be in the meeting.  We had been asked "what happens if this isn't enough?"  Just the thought that it wouldn't be made me want to cry while crumbling into a ball on the floor and also so mad that I was afraid I might launch myself over the desk of the city official and cause bodily harm.  Needless to say, I was wound up pretty tight.
The time finally came and we made our way across town.  If it says anything, I was too nervous to even take photographs once we got to the building.  We made our way inside, received our "number" and waited our turn.  Finally we were called into a little glass booth with a woman who really didn't look that happy to be at work...or maybe she was just intimidated by our awesomeness.  Whatever the reason, her crappy mood just kinda hung around.
Guys...she made me cry :(.
She didn't want to accept the document at first.  I had to tell her that there were NO other kinds of documents for the State of Missouri and she was asking for something that just didn't exist.  She left for a while...and I alternated between crying and mad....poor Lars. She finally comes back and shrugs and says the equivalent of "ok, we'll accept it".  Oh well...wasn't that easy....*insert mean-ish name calling in my head*.  (My mom told me I shouldn't cuss here anymore...)
She quickly found 2 more things to try to hold us up on but finally handed over a little packet of stuff for us to take to Dordrecht so we could get registered for our wedding.  We have 2 weeks from the 7th to wait...a period called Ondertrouw - minimal time for Ondertrouw is 2 weeks, but could go up to a year.
And now we get to the fun part...Photos :)  I didn't get any of the inside...but it was pretty amazing with a stained-glass ceiling.










At this point, instead of going home, we just walked around.  We turned down what looked like a street but turned into just an arm of a very large outdoor mall.




I was really digging on the snake-skin sneakers that cost 3 of my paychecks...Lars said no :(.

For the 2 photos below - I kinda squealed and nearly ran across the walkway.  This little pub reminded me SO much of Waxy O'Sheas in Branson that I HAD to take a photo.



So we wandered some more and I found a Claire's...full of teeny-bopper goodness.  I did find some cuffs for my boots and these cute little hair things that Lars had a grand time photographing me in.



 I finally got some photos of the subway station.  I know for some this is an everyday thing and they can't understand why I'd take a photo but this is the FIRST time I've ever used city transportation...meaning trains, buses and subway...and many of my friends back home are the same way.  I nearly giggle like a little kid every time I get on the subway here.  Its still a novelty.



This is the Oliebollen vendor outside the subway/bus station.  We pass them on our way home.  Lars assures me that they should be closing up soon so they can't tempt me anymore.


This is part of the walk home.  Next to the green light, on the corner on the right of the photo, is a little shop.  Just past that little shop is the apartment.  Just showing you what I see :)

As for the last photo for this post...please ignore what appears to be the incredible shine of my face.  I had just taken off 2 layers of coats and had walked some way...yes...I was sweaty.  SOME ONE could not wait a few minutes to let me compose myself before he had to take this photo so I could show the world my adorable little turtle friend that he bought me.  Isn't it just the cutest little thing??

Ok...that is all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment