27 February 2013

Den Haag - Part 2

I actually have a good reason for not posting since my last one.  My hubby has been sick and I needed to take care of him.  Now that his whiney self is back at work I have time to myself again...which means time for you also, lovely readers.
So we were in The Hague at the beach.

This is Lars walking back from throwing the food package away.  I was afraid to hold it any more...my friends might think I was holding out on them.

The sand where we were here was soft but nothing like sand I've been on in the States.  My feet didn't sink in and make me feel like I was trudging through mud...and my ankle and knee was grateful for that.  As we walked further down the beach the sand was much more compact and our feet didn't sink much at all.  This is because the water level rises and beats down the sand.  It also means that it was littered with shells.  I picked up a few for the kids but I could have filled a few dumptrucks and still had shells to spare.
There was another shell that I loved but I have no idea what kind of creature its from...
So we walked to the edge and I took about a million photos of the curls of the waves.  I won't bore you with all of them..but here are a couple :)

Around the time of the one above the water came up more than I anticipated and soaked our feet.  I had my snowboots on so it didn't go inside...thank God..I'm sure it was a little chilly...and yes, I wore my snowboots to the beach :p.

Lars and I stopped for a photo...

We spent a good part of the day at the beach.  I just stood there watching waves and listening to the roar.  I didn't want to leave but I knew that there were other things in town I wanted to see..so we had to leave.  We hiked our way back up the beach and found a tram back through town. 2 stops down was Madurodam...which is Holland in miniature.  We ended up not going through it because they were doing work there, but I did get to see it from a sky-walk inside the building.  We hope to go back before I leave.



Next we went further into the city and stopped by the Parliament building :). The flags in this line represent all the Provinces.


At this point we realized we were hungry and there was a Subway across the way, next to a really cool biulding...


 The guy behind the counter knew a little English, which was nice and he also sang along with the radio a time or two.  His voice went well with Will.i.am and Brittney Spears.

After we ate we went out again.  I had spied church spires and wanted to see if I could finally get myself inside a church here...it was closed though...we had just missed our chance. I did get some photos outside...




In the last photo, they had covered over some carvings with a piece of what looks like plexi-glass.  I assume this was to protect it from the elements.

We also found a beautiful statue in the center of a round-about.  Walking to the foot of the statue was a little harrowing since we had to walk on the road...but thankfully no cars came roaring around it.

 

 It was huge and beautiful and on the stairs at the base were words and on one side it said the equivalent of "What God puts together, let no man tear apart"...which I thought was pretty cool.
We left there and sent on the search of a train that would take us back to the station. We ended up getting on the wrong one that took us from one end of town to the other, but I got to see more that way.  I was way too tired to get out at any of the stops though.  This building was pretty cool though.  A normal building with one window at the top.  I tried to get a pic of a man standing at the window...like some sea captain searching for land.  He moved away but you can still see him just a little. 


 So that was our trip to The Hague.  It was beautiful and fun...a really nice day out with my new husband.  The next post will be about Valentine's day where Lars had something special up his sleeve.




No comments:

Post a Comment