08 March 2013

Maastricht - Part 2

After the boat ride -

We had an appointment - my present to Lars. We needed to find the Brewery.  We thought we knew where we were going...I gave directions.  However, I was taking us in the opposite direction and I had to admit that I may not be great at reading a map on the internet. I'm glad for the detour though.  It took us through the heart of the city with shops on ever corner and streets so narrow that in the US we'd think of them as back alley's.  We also would not have been able to see the square that was home to a giant building with bells ringing to a song that Lars recognized immediately - he even let out a surprised laugh - and I was able to get some of it recorded.



If you can't tell, the song is Stairway to Heaven. I recognized the first part but didn't get that on camera.

Anyway, after we got directions and realized we were going the wrong way, we made out way to the visitor center where the tour would start from.  Honestly, I thought that we were near the brewery at this point.  I thought it would be around the corner....I was so wrong.
We had a little time to wait so we went into a couple of stores, I used my first paid toilet since coming here...where I realized that men and women use the same restroom facilities, and then we had a waffle with powdered sugar as we walked a bit more. 
At one point we came upon an older man who was playing the violin and Lars asked him if I could take his photo.  He smiled and said of course...


We went back and waited  for the tour and when the guy arrived he took a 'roll call' of those who spoke Dutch.  Most of us, it turns out.  There was a German couple and then me, who he had no idea what to do with.  He spoke German very well and also spoke English...and Lars got to translate...my sweet man. 
So it turns out that we had to walk back through the inner city that we were in, back across the bridge and into the city on the other side of the water...near the train station :).  It was quite a walk.
These are our fellow tourists.


This was on the other side of the bridge.


Finally making it to the brewery.

Now as for the tour, I didn't take many photos.  I was starting to really not feel well at this time and I wasn't thinking too much about photos...especially when the guy told us that we would be climbing 5 flights of stairs.  My knee screamed a little just at the thought of it. (I know, I'm such a whiney baby.)

This was the transport wagon for the beer.

He might kill me for this but I laughed so hard when I saw this photo.  I would give anything to know why he was making this face.  I promise, there weren't any robots climbing the walls or anything.

We were in a courtyard. We walked through a green door and stood here as he talked about hops...I think.  On the left of this photo you see the building that houses the bar where we drank 2 very fine beers and this connects to the house owned by the man who started the brewery.  He died leaving no heirs so the money and property don't belong to anyone really. 

This is on a floor of the inside of the brewery.  I honestly can't say which but I think it was the 4th floor.

I HAD to take this photo.  In the days of this brewery they had their toilets outside...so this is, essentially, an outhouse.
 Granted this is the fanciest outhouse I've ever seen and the best part is, you can see this from the kitchen and the hallway that leads to the dining room.  So the point of beginning and end of your food can be seen at the same time.  How lovely.

The beautiful stairs in the house...I did not climb them but realized as I took this shot that Lars should have taken the camera with him.  Oops.

Up...you can see this isn't a little house.
I wish more than anything that I had taken a photo of the bar.  It was set up like an old pub and there were 2 beers - a light one and a dark.  They were both actually really good. They also served cheese so yeah...that made me happy :D.

Soon after the second beer we left to head for the train station.  It was a shame the day was over so soon (even though it was around 6 or 7 by this time)..but it was a great day.  I'm sorry I don't have more photos for you :(. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment